Community

Kent Fire Department offers holiday, winter safety tips

The Kent Fire Department Regional Fire Authority asks all residents to consider the following fire and life safety tips to help ensure they have a safe and enjoyable holiday season.

Carbon Monoxide

(CO) is a colorless, almost odorless, and tasteless gas which is present during any type of burning.

This includes wood stoves, gas furnaces, wood burning fireplaces, generators, and vehicle emissions.

When inhaled, it depletes the oxygen supply in the blood stream. Symptoms of CO poisoning include lightheadedness, dizziness, headaches, nausea, vomiting, seizures, decreased levels of consciousness, and in extreme cases, death.

Residents can be proactive and protect themselves by following these simple steps:

1. Have all CO producing devices in the home inspected by a professional.

2. Never bring barbecues or running generators into a home.

3. Purchase and install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home.

4. If you or someone in your home begins complaining of the symptoms listed above or your CO alarm activates, leave your residence immediately and call 911.

Smoke Alarms

Have working smoke alarms and know how to escape if they activate. Change the batteries annually and replace your smoke alarms every 10 years.

Electric heaters

Ensure that all portable space heaters and baseboard heaters have at least 3 feet of clearance around them to prevent fires. Keep all combustibles such as curtains, bedding, and clothing away. Purchase heaters that have an auto-shutoff feature when tipped over and that have an Underwriters Laboratory (UL) rating.

Cooking

Whenever you are cooking, “keep an eye on what you fry”. Never leave the kitchen when cooking and always keep pan lids handy. If a pan catches on fire, simply place the matching lid on the pan while wearing an oven mitt. Once the lid is on, turn off the burner and call 911. To reduce injuries, create a “kid free” zone in front of your stove and oven.

Candles

During the holidays and power outages candles are commonly used for decoration and light. Use them wisely. Place candles in a non-tipping base and set them where they cannot be easily knocked over by children, pets, or breezes.

Always keep candles away from combustibles such as drapes, bedding, clothing, holiday decorations, and Christmas trees. Lastly, “when you go out – blow it out”. Never leave candles burning when you leave the room.

Decoration

Keep paper or other flammable decorations away from heat sources. Ensure breakable decorations such as tree ornaments are kept out of the reach of children and pets. Make sure all holiday lights, extension cords, and other electrical devices have the UL seal of approval.

Never overload extension cords or create an extension cord “octopus”.Indoor trees: Keep cut trees well watered and away from heat sources, including candles.

Use only indoor rated light strings. Dispose of the tree if needles begin falling off in large numbers.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Dec 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates