News

Kent and Maple Valley firefighters battle early morning fire in Covington Sunday

Kent and Maple Valley firefighters respond to an early morning fire in Covington. - Photo Courtesy Capt. Kyle Ohashi
Kent and Maple Valley firefighters respond to an early morning fire in Covington.
— image credit: Photo Courtesy Capt. Kyle Ohashi

A Kent Fire Investigator has determined that an early morning house fire Sunday in the 17800 block of Southeast 267 Place was caused by discarded cigarette butts. This heat source allowed the fire to spread from the home’s siding up into the attic space.

Firefighters from the Kent Fire Department Regional Fire Authority and the Maple Valley Fire Department arrived on scene at 2:38 am, less than three minutes after the initial dispatch to find smoke and flames coming from the eaves of the single story house.

After confirming that all the occupants had escaped, firefighters entered the home and pulled down the ceiling to gain access to the fire. Fully extinguishing the fire took approximately 30 minutes.

The home’s three adult occupants will be staying with relatives.

No one was hurt in the fire, which has been ruled accidental.

 


View Larger Map

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.