Maple Valley Fire and Life Safety updates | Feb. 4-10
February 15, 2013 · 2:55 PM
Emergency Medical Services: 26
Motor Vehicle Accidents: 1
Hazardous Conditions: 5
Service Calls: 2
Good Intent Calls: 9
False Alarm & False Calls: 6
Incident of the week:
On Feb. 5 at 6:52 pm in the 27500 block of Maple Ridge Way Southeast MVFLS firefighters were dispatched to a residential structure; the homeowner had been away since morning and returned to find a small fire had occurred in one of the bathrooms.
Firefighters found substantial soot deposits in the bathroom; crews accessed the attic and also used a thermal imagining camera to ensure there was no spread of fire.
The bathroom exhaust fan overheated from lint accumulation/mechanical failure causing the plastic fan grille to melt and also fall onto and melt through the plastic toilet seat cover.
Fortunately, the fire did not spread and the bathroom door was shut which limited the damage to the home. No one was injured. Loss was estimated at $5,500.
It is recommended that the grille and housing of exhaust fans are vacuumed and cleaned at least annually.