Fire displaces one person | Kent Fire Department

One person was displaced Aug. 4 when a fire broke out in the attic space of a mobile home in the 11500 block of SE 208 Street at 9 p.m.

One occupant was home at the time of the fire and evacuated after her smoke alarm activated. There were no injuries.

When firefighters from the Kent Fire Department Regional Fire Authority and the Renton Fire Department arrived, they found flames coming out of several attic vents along the roofline. A quick attack of the fire limited the damage

The investigation following the fire found a great deal of charring in the attic space, indicating the fire burned for an extended period of time before the smoke alarm activated. This is not unusual since the ceiling blocks smoke in the attic from setting the alarm off until it has sufficient pressure to push into the living space of the home.

Without a working smoke alarm, this fire would have been much worse and could have resulted in the resident being injured.

The cause of the fire was a malfunction in a bathroom ceiling fan. The fire is considered accidental.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates