- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Washington Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame announces 2011 finalist
The Washington Thoroughbred Racing Hall of Fame will host its ninth annual induction ceremony at Emerald Downs following the races Saturday, Aug. 20.
Twenty horses, breeders and jockeys—four in each category—have been announced finalists to win the state’s highest honor in thoroughbred racing. One winner from each category will be voted into the Hall-of-Fame, and for the first time horses have been divided into separate categories for males and fillies and mares. The breeding category this year is for post-1970.
A 16-member Hall-of-Fame committee—composed of media, track officials, WTBOA and HBPA—will determine the winners via majority vote.
Introduced in 2003, the Washington Racing Hall of Fame was created to honor and showcase Washington’s Thoroughbred industry elite. The inaugural class featured three inductees in each category, while subsequent classes have been limited to a single member in each category.
Winners will be announced April 20, with the induction ceremony scheduled for the Emerald Room (fourth floor) on the eve of the 76th Longacres Mile, Aug. 20.
2011 Washington Racing Hall of Fame finalists
- Horse: Military Hawk, Mustard Plaster, Pataha Prince, Sirde.
- Horse (F&M): Delicate Vine, Firesweeper, Fleet Pacific, Whang Bang.
- Jockey: Vicky Baze, Paul Frey, Gallyn Mitchell, Merlin Volzke.
- Trainer: Ben Harris, Cecil Jolly, Tim McCanna, Larry and Sharon Ross
- Breeder: Czechmate Stable, Griffin Place, Grousemont Farm, Savario Farm.
Washington Racing Hall-of-Fame
- 2003—Jockey: Gary Baze, Ralph Neves and Gary Stevens. Trainer: Allen Drumheller, Jim Penney and Tom Smith. Horse: Captain Condo, Chinook Pass and Trooper Seven. Breeder: Herb Armstrong and Jerre Paxton. Lifetime Achievement: Joe Gottstein.
- 2004—Jockey: Russell Baze. Trainer: Charles Whittingham. Horse: Saratoga Passage and Turbulator. Breeder: George Drumheller. Lifetime Achievement: Ron Crockett.
- 2005—Jockey: Basil James. Trainer: Bud Klokstad. Horse: Smogy Dew. Breeder: Guy & Barbara Roberts.
- 2006—Jockey: Albert Johnson. Trainer: Frances Keller. Horse: Sir William. Breeder: C. J. Sebastian.
- 2007—Jockey: Johnny Adams. Trainer: Red McDaniel. Horse: Peterhof’s Patea. Breeder: Dan Agnew
- 2008—Jockey: Larry Pierce. Trainer: Glen Williams. Horse: Belle Of Rainier. Breeder: Frank Brewster. Lifetime Achievement: Pete Pedersen.
- 2009—Jockey: Lennie Knowles. Trainer: Kathy Walsh. Horse: Sparrow Castle. Breeder: Wilbur & Marianne Stadelman.
- 2010—Jockey: Joe Baze. Trainer: Bill McMeans. Horse: Biggs. Breeder: Les Turner. Lifetime Achievement: James Seabeck.
Eligibility requirements: Any Washington-bred or any horse that has raced at least twice in Washington shall be eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame. Any jockey or trainer born in Washington shall be eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame, or any jockey or trainer who has competed in at least five years in Washington shall be eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame. The breeding category alternates yearly between pre-and-post 1970.